Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back from the dead and ready for action

That post title is true for this blog and perhaps me in general.  I've been thinking about sewing/altering/creating for quite a while now and am just too good at putting things off/making excuses/feeling intimidated. Enough is enough!

I'm hoping that regularly posting will help keep me on track...

We shall see.

The first thing I altered was almost six months ago: a dress I found at the Thrift Box, my thrift store of choice.  My mother now volunteers there so I have an inside track to all the new good stuff.  Thanks mom!

It WAS a frumpy, 70s looking frock, but I saw a lot of potential because, a) it had a nice belt, which would eliminate the need to alter the waist (tricky business I assume) and b) it was made of a nice, colorful, kind of shiny? fabric, so at the very least, if I totally demolished it, I could use it for scrap fabric.



And, now, due to my amateur efforts, it looks like this:


I still have a lot to learn, but this alteration was quite simple and therefore boosted my sewing self esteem.  It was only a matter of shortening the sleeves and altering the hem. Although I didn't take measurements or properly finish the edges, it's good enough for me to wear.  I'm hoping I will learn to make a more polished garment (something sellable :) ) in the sewing class I start soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment